…they would operate something like this.
–Thank you for calling Feculent, the world leader in male bovine waste processing and distribution.
- For English, please hold your horses.
- Para continuar en Español, oprima ocho.
- To hurl racial slurs at us, press nine, and leave your slur at the tone.
–Welcome to Feculent. We are committed to getting you off the phone as cheaply as possible. Please, seriously, no joke, listen to all the following options before making your selection.
1) To stab zero repeatedly until you get a human, please press one.
- Your approximate wait time is measured in weeks. Please hold. All calls are answered in the order received.
2) To accuse us of shocking maternal relationships and prostitution, press two.
- For haiku format, press one, and leave your message after the tone.
- For rap format, press two, then dis us after the tone.
- For incoherent rage, please press three, and fulminate after the tone.
3) To explain why you shouldn’t have to pay your bill, or why you didn’t, press three.
- If you’re a deadbeat, press one.
- If you are a flake, press two.
- If you’re an honest person who simply would like a minor consideration based upon years of faithful patronage, press three, and our Universal Loathing Technicians will be with you shortly.
4) To fire us, press four.
- If you are really calling to beat us up for a better price, press one.
- If you just want us to drop dead, press two.
5) To order new product, or to hear more about our products and services, press five.
- To convince us you’re serious, press one.
- If you just thought that was a good joke, press two.
6) If you are a bored, lonely senior citizen with a wandering mind, and just want to talk someone’s ear off, press six.
- If you are harmless, press one.
- If you are a perv, press two, and our Pervert Task Force will help you.
7) If you plan to just demand to speak to a manager, and do not yet realize that you will just be handed to another random person who will play the role, press seven.
- If you are relatively calm, press one.
- If you are close to a stroke, press two, and our system will dial 911 for you.
8) If you have no sense of logic, and would like to be connected to someone who can only repeat the same phrases until you hang up in frustration, press eight.
- For someone with a heavy Indian accent, press one.
- For a heavy Filipino accent, please press two.
- For an Idaho accent, please press the potato key.
9) If you are calling with any sort of positive message at all, press nine to be connected to a representative who will change your mind.
- If you have already changed your mind, press one.
- If you are a Pollyanna who really believes it will matter to us, press two. Someone will be with you shortly.
#) To hear all that crap one more time, press pound.
4 thoughts on “If our call was really important to automated phone systems…”
wait time: perhaps in fortnights?
Or until it automatically hangs up on you. My boundary is simple: I do not speak to inanimate undead. I refuse to use the voice recognition. In essence, the whole thing has me in a mood of uncooperation, and I go from there.
Jon, Shawn Inmon referred me to you. Releasing my first book in February. Would like to hire your editing services. What kind of lead time do we need and what are your prices? Thanks for your time. Looking forward to working with you
John, thanks for your interest. Pricing depends upon content, scope of work, and many factors; I have to see the ms and discuss the work with you in order to evaluate that. Lead time depends upon the same factors. Please email me at tc underbar vitki at yahoo and we can explore what you would like done.